After much experimentation, and with HaRav Shmuel Fuerst’s psak hamotzi, here’s my latest, greatest gluten free oat flour challah recipe!
Gluten Free Oat Challah
A light challah that allows you to have your oneg Shabbos and still stay gluten free!
Write a review
- 6 tablespoons yeast
- 3 and 1/2 cups warm water, and 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup honey
- 12 cups gluten free oat flour
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- A little coconut oil for greasing pans
- Pre-heat oven to 365 degrees F
- In a medium size bowl, mix yeast with 3 and 1/2 cups warm water and honey
- In a separate small bowl mix freshly ground flax seeds with 1/2 cup hot water and allow to cool (will form a gel)
- In a large bowl, mix oat flour with salt
- Once yeast mixture has proofed, add eggs and apple sauce to the yeast mixture
- Add flax seed mixture to wet ingredients and mix well
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well
- Oil pans of choice (I enjoy this challah mold)
- Bake for 45 min until brown on top
- I highly recommend grinding your own flax seeds in a coffee grinder, this keeps the oil fresh
- Make sure to really mix all ingredients well in the last step
- I sometimes pull the mold out of oven after 35 minutes and flip the challahs out onto another pan to finish baking. I cover them with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds - you can get creative
RHG Medical Clinic https://www.refuashaguf.com/
I just found your site when you started following my gluten free Pinterest Board.
I decided to visit your blog and found this challah recoup. It looks good. I can’t wait to try it.
I posted a grain free batter challah made with coconut flour and the same mold. My challahs look amazing, but taste more like cake; yours looks more bread. Pinning and can’t wait to try it. Looking forward to looking through your other posts!
Challah is one of the few recipes where I have to use grains and I find that this recipe pleases family and guests. It does come out like bread, and I’ve had the cake-like problem in the past too…hope this one works for you! I’m going to check out your site as well.
Comments are closed.